A PLACE TO COOK, CRAFT, CREATE, REMAKE AND PLAN SOME FUN PARTIES FOR MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Dried Apple Head Witches


Dried Apple Head Witch Craft

Here is installment 1 of my apple head witch dolls. We are making them in my 2nd grade classroom. The trick is to peel your apples and then dip them in lemon juice, or else they will grow mold before they dry out!

Dried Apples peeled and dipped in lemon juice


I always get a lovely parent to peel the apples. i got all of these from my apple tree, which is abounding in apples this year! I get like 3 peaches and apricots and nectarines, but I get a bazillion apples! So it's a fun thing to do for Halloween, dried apple witches!

You can see they are already starting to pucker and dry out!


The body is made from a popsicle stick pushed into the apple. The dress is just a 1 square foot of material rolled around the popsicle stick. Then I use an orange chennille stem wrapped around the "neck" of the popsicle stick OVER the material and the ends are curled for hands.  Sometimes I put a plastic "ring" on one of the hands. I have found spider or skeleton rings at the dollar store. The necklace is made from a candy corn shaped foam bead. I got a mega set from Oriental Trading LINK HERE that has lasted for like 5 years worth of my classes.  Every year everybody makes a Halloween necklace with the beads.
Fly Fly Witchy Witchy Fly!  Freaky dried apple witch.  

 I usually make the witch's broom out of raffia and a 1/3rd piece of a wooden skewer. I can usually find them at the dollar store. I use one pointy end of a skewer for the witch nose.  We gouge out a 3 little impressions in the face before it hardens for 2 eyes and a mouth. They eyes are made of cloves pushed into the apple. The mouth has a few pieces of rice glue gunned on and the nose is the skewer piece. The mouth and eyebrows the kids do out of red and brown marker.
I'll GET you my pretty and your little dog too! 

Here's a close up of my witch sample from last year.  The hat we made with black felt using just a circle cut out and then the pointy part was just a cone. We glue gunned the 2 pieces together and then used a wacky green yarn I found at the craft store for the hair. I'll post more pictures when we actually put together our witches this year.  Those shrunken heads should be ready soon. :O

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is so COOL that you are Commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10